Heading to The Netherlands & Not Sure What to Expect? Well here we go through the top things that tourists should know when they visit The Netherlands.
1. It is The Netherlands, Not Holland. Holland is the name of two counties in The Netherlands.
2. The language of The Netherlands is Dutch, but as a tourist you really do not need to know any Dutch as the Dutch speak English extremely well throughout the country.
3. The Euro is the currency in The Netherlands and you can find ATMs all over the country. Credit cards are widely accepted as well.
4. The Netherlands is a small country with a very well developed transportation network. Therefore you can easily take trains all over the country in a fast and efficient way. Make sure you tap in and out with your tickets as you enter your platforms.
5. Biking is a very popular pastime and way to get around Dutch cities. There are a number of bike rental agencies throughout The Netherlands. Look for one near a train station and rent a bike for the day to explore, or sign up for one of the numerous bike tours around the country.
6. The Netherlands is rather safe for tourists. Do take care with pickpockets and extremely aggressive beggars in Amsterdam’s more popular areas. The bike line is for bikes only so watch out unless you want to get hit by a bike and yelled at by a local.
7. Drugs bring a lot of tourists to Amsterdam and the Dutch/German border. If you are going to The Netherlands to experiment with soft drugs make sure you go to a “Coffee House” they have menus and trained personnel that can help travelers. We do not recommend you do drugs and highly discourage travelers from doing this. However, we do know a number of tourists do go there for that. So please be safe, and speak with the coffee shop attendant about your previous experiences so they can help you.
9. The best things about the Netherlands are the quaint cities and towns like Haarlem, Leiden, Groningen, as well as the larger cities of Amsterdam and Rotterdam. The architecture and museums throughout the country really are outstanding. And yes you will see quite a few windmills as you explore The Netherlands.
10. The food is hearty in The Netherlands, make sure you try a bitter ballen or a traditional pancake or herring from one of the stalls. The market and food halls have tons of great treats for travelers. There are numerous international restaurants all over The Netherlands as well.
11. The Netherlands is not a cheap place to visit, however the prices are on par with the US & other major European destinations. Amsterdam accomodation will be your biggest expense. Therefore you may want to stay outside of Amsterdam to have a cheaper and more Dutch experience.
Filmed in Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Copyright Mark Wolters 2018
The Don’ts of The Netherlands
10 Things That SHOCK Tourists about Amsterdam
5 Love & Hates of Visiting The Netherlands
Support Us: https://www.patreon.com/woltersworld
USA Today & 10Best’s #1 Independent Travel Videographer 2014
FlipKey by TripAdvisor Top 10 Travel Bloggers 2014
Grab Wolters World Merchandise & Travel Gear at
We travel with a Microsoft Surface everywhere we go. I edit my videos on it & use it to backup my pictures and vides while we travel. It’s light and the best travel laptop on the market in my opinion.
We use Sony Alpha series cameras to film our videos. They are compact so you don’t look like a super tourist when you take great pictures and videos while you travel.
We use Manfrotto Tripods. They are compact, travel well, and honestly I would not use another tripod for my nice cameras.
Travel Plug that works in pretty much any country & has four USB ports. A must for any traveler.
Want to grab some great gear? We have used Osprey Packs for years & swear by them. Check them out here
Need some clothing for your next adventure? Patagonia has some pretty good stuff for all kinds of travelers.
Hey There Fellow Travelers! Thank you for watching our honest travel vlogs from all over this wonderful world. If you would like to get in contact with us please follow us & send us a message via our social media channels below. Also, if you like our travel videos please feel free to share them with other fellow travelers.
Follow Us At
Tweets by woltersworld